Is it soup yet?

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 06:30:00 EST 2002

>On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:50:11 -0800 Ken Norris
><pixelbird at interisland.net> wrote:
>
>Hello RR list,
>
>I just downloaded 1.1 because of the warning about the beta of 1.1.1. at the
>website. However, according to many of the recent posts I've been reading,
>it (1.1.1 beta) appears to have much fewer bugs than 1.1. So, I'm thinking I
>should have DL'd the 1.1.1 beta.
>
>Should I go ahead and trash 1.1 and DL 1.1.1 beta instead, and go ahead and
>use it for development? I'm just beginning with RR, but I've been using HC
>2.4.1 for some time, and want to transfer the shells and rebuild the color
>with appropriate handler changes, etc.
>
>What say ye?
>
>[...]

I'd like to know the answer to this as well - I'm used to the idea
that 'beta' implies 'not guaranteed to be working at industrial
strength yet, but good enough for people to use and help the
developer find the last few problems' - but it appears that this
isn't what is meant in Revo's case.

My own problem in learning Revolution is to convert from SuperCard on
the Mac where I have some fairly simple published school applications
(though still involving some thousands of lines of code). My idea is
to produce the exact functional equivalent of the SC versions and
then develop more advanced (and of course cross-platform) versions
after becoming familiar with Revo. I'm just setting out - exciting! -
and I'm about to start reading all the available material about
converting from SC to Revo etc.

Graham Samuel

                 LFC Associates Ltd (The Living Fossil Co.)
    39 Laurier Road, London NW5 1SH, UK. email: livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
    tel. +44 207 485 7916; mobile: +44 7976 739 935; fax +44 207 813 9427