use-revolution digest, Vol 1 #106 - 14 msgs

Gene Kennedy cyberscope at home.com
Fri Jan 11 04:50:01 EST 2002

> From: Ken Norris <pixelbird at interisland.net>
>
> There are several things I need to know about RR:
>
> 1) Can I use it to control X-10 devices? Anything done with this type of
> thing yet?
>
> 2) I want to use it to send and receive text-only (for now, e.g., no
> attachments or graphics) eMail using something simple, like Claris. Or is it
> possible to build my own emailer with RR itself? How about this?
>
> 3) I need to develop full speech feedback for the vision impaired. I know
> this will need to be handled differently on each platform, but that's OK.
> Anyone done such a thing? Are there examples for PC's (I know relatively
> little about P.C.'s or Windows)?

Hi Ken,

If you are targeting your applications for Mac then the answer is yes to all three items; and very easily.
There are AppleScript scripting additions available for controling X-10 devices, sending e-mail and
synthesizing speech.  You can use all of these with RR's AppleScript/OSA support via the "Do" command.

Alternatively, you should be able to develop your own e-mailer using RR only, after a little familiarization.
There is also an external for RR that you can use for text-to-speech conversions.

I too am new to RR but have no HC experience to build on.  So, I'm learning a lot as I go.  But what I've found
so far is a development tool with extremely broad scope and depth.  I'ts like the Swiss Army Knife of software.
Or like the old Prego Spaghetti Sauce commercials used to say; "It's in there!"

The X-10 scripting addition is available at http://www.seracsoftware.com/.

Good hunting,
Gene Kennedy