Audioclips on a Mac

cowhead cowhead at ztv.ne.jp
Tue Jan 8 06:58:01 EST 2002

Someone wrote: >HOW DO I IMPORT AN AUDIOCLIP INTO A STACK AND PLAY IT
CORRECTLY, on a Mac?

Used "SoundApp" (Mac shareware) to bulk convert all of the sound files
you might want to import into a compatable format, like Sun/NeXt, which
is supported on all platforms (this is nice if you have an inlination to
go cross-platform later on).  To do the bulk conversion, first launch
soundApp, in the preferences you can select where you want the output of
conversion to go...then command-click (or shift-click, I forget) the
folder containing all of the sounds you want to convert and drag it and
drop it on the SoundApp icon (soundApp must be already launched and
running for this to work).  Conversion of hundreds of short sounds will
take less than a second and these can now be imported and played in
meta/rev.
Note the MPEG layer 3 (MP3) can be played with a player object, but
cannot be directly imported and played (in my hands).  If you have a lot
of sounds to play, or they are long sounds, you might want to keep them
in a separate file and use a player to play them.  You can always make
the player invisible.  This keeps the size of your stack down and, I
think, improves performance.  That way, the sounds can be MP3's, which
have the advantage of small size, and universal compatibility.  iTunes,
available as a free download from Apple, can convert many sound files to
MP3 and can do this in bulk.

mark mitchell
japan