error messages diatribe

Kevin Miller kevin at runrev.com
Sat Jan 5 14:43:11 EST 2002

On 4/1/02 9:54 am, cowhead <cowhead at ztv.ne.jp> wrote:

> But then you would actually consult it each time?  It's much easier to
> just always customize your variable names.  I use variables like 'time'
> and 'player' all the the time, but I customize them as zaTime and
> zaPlayer (because I like to script in a German/Japanese accent).  I have
> automatically done this ever since the first time I was 'nailed' by this
> same error.

Always customize your variable names in this.  For every project you're on,
its simple to define a couple of characters that you will incorporate into
all variable names.  For example, we use "rev" in Revolution's scripts for
all of these (don't do that though: rev is thus reserved!).  Also, you can
check if something that you have typed is currently reserved by right
clicking it in the script editor - to see if it opens a term in the
dictionary.  (But I would still use a custom prefix as the word might
otherwise become reserved in a future version.)  Check out the scripting
style guidelines on http://www.FourthWorld.com for a few more pointers on
this.

Kevin

Kevin Miller <kevin at runrev.com> <http://www.runrev.com/>
Runtime Revolution Limited - Power to the Developer!
Tel: +44 (0) 870 747 1165.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.