A memory management issue

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Jan 4 15:50:01 EST 2002

on 4/1/02 7:01 PM, Richard D. Miller at wow at together.net wrote:

> I'm building a project that will have a total of 1,650 cards, with each card
> containing one field holding approximately 20k of formatted text.
> The main stack would contain an index to all 1,650 cards, from which the user
> can pull up information on any one card. My concern is with minimizing memory
> requirements.
> Suggestions?

I've not used it myself, but Revolution has zip compression/decompression
built in.  It ought to do very well on text.  If you don't need to do
searches across all the text, but will only use the index then display a
single card, you could store the data compressed (if you like, take the
'htmlText' of the fields and compress that) - then when the user selects
from the index, decompress just that one nugget of data.  I think this could
bring the memory requirement into an acceptable range.

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866