error messages diatribe

Richard Gaskin ambassador at FourthWorld.com
Fri Jan 4 13:20:00 EST 2002

AE wrote:
> If there's a list of Transcript reserved words, I've never found
> it.  Such a list is badly needed.

As Mark Mitchell suggested, there are many benefits to using distinct
variable names like "tTime" instead of "time".   For a discussion of naming
conventions and related scripting issues see:

<http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/ScriptStyle.html>

But since your concern is primarily to deal with converted stacks, the
script coloring is a great option, and there's another one as well:

Transcript provides several functions to obtain lists of most of the
keywords in the language.  While it would be nice to be able to obtain a
complete list, this will get most of them:

function TranscriptTokenList
   get the propertyNames &cr \
   &   the commandNames  &cr \
   &   the functionNames &cr \
   &   the colorNames
   sort lines of it
   return it
end TranscriptTokenList

When I ran this with Rev 1.1.1 it returned 1464 tokens -- man, what a rich
language.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation