Type 3 on revdb_connect, but ODBC drivers okay

diskot123 at juno.com diskot123 at juno.com
Tue Jan 1 05:51:01 EST 2002

>1. The installed Merent drivers, and so on, are indeed almost identical
to the Intersolv installation -- just a later version, and not "branded"
for FileMaker, like the
>set I had.  That makes me think that a small tweak to Revolution would
make it support the set distributed with FileMaker as well.  If other
clients can use them,
>why not Revolution?
Which other clients?

> I couldn't get Merent's control panel to configure the FileMaker Pro
driver.
You probably have to remove the old control panel. When I installed
FileMaker Pro eval..it was automatically installed it as a merent driver.

>3.  After an initial success with the new setup, I had some bombs using
Revolution's Database Manager.  Things are okay now, but I don't know
what fixed it.
Could you have forgot to change the database type to ODBC?

>4.  In the Database Manager, without a space before the terminating
semicolon, some SQL queries don't work, apparently because the semicolon
gets treated as >part of the final argument.  (That was hard to find!)
In other cases, you have to leave the semicolon out altogether.  I'm not
sure whose problem that is, but I'm >sure it's not supposed to work that
way.
Well ODBC says that it's supposed to work that way. RevDB doesn't parse
the SQL statement. I've found this too, the best solution is to not
append a terminating semicolin to the statement. Oracle seems fine with
the semicolin, but MySQL and ODBC throw syntax errors with it. Maybe
RevDB should be modified to automatically check for the terminating
semicolin (I guess people are into the habit of adding it), and not pass
it with the query..what do you think?

Tuviah