My Entry for the RR Wish List

David Vaughan drvaughan55 at mac.com
Sat Feb 23 18:12:01 EST 2002

Although I voiced support for a CompileIt!-style product, the need is
far less than existed in HC, as I continue to learn.

While we are floating the idea though, I envisage a separate product
from Rev, as was CompileIt! from HC, rather than inbuilt capability.
Why? Because no-one should fiddle with handles and pointers without
damn-good driving lessons and background knowledge of what it is they
are playing with. It would soon turn people off RR if they thought such
capability a normal or expected-use part of the product and then crashed
and burned as they over-wrote their pointers, failed to manage memory
and struggled with low-level debugging. Hardly the RR experience we
enjoy. Similarly, Java is productive for its safety features (no pointer
access) as much as its cross-platform capability. Rev's avoidance of
strong typing is itself a language strategy, appealing to some and not
to others.

I like the idea, but as an add-on, not a product change, hence my
support also for separate licensing for a "modest" fee.

regards
David