Rev Externals

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Feb 20 19:56:01 EST 2002

>don't want to have to maintain two separate copies of the stack - one
>for Mac OS Classic and one for Mac OS X, but it seems I have to?! I
>can't see any way of building for both at the same time.

Hi Peter,

Are you up for a solution that requires three stacks?  If so:

1.  Leave you main stack untouched, except for a preOpen handler I'll
describe in a moment.

2.  Create a minimal stack, eg: "Classic Libraries", and place the classic
externals in its resource fork.

3.  Create a minimal stack, eg: "OSX Libraries", and place the OS X
externals in its resource fork.

4.  In the preOpen handler for your original stack, determine the version
of the OS and start using stack "Classic Libraries" or "OSX Libraries" as
appropriate.

BTW, in all the years "start using" has been around I don't think anyone
has fully explored how it can be used to change a stack's operation, look,
and/or environment on-the-fly.  The potential power of a simple "start
using" statement is almost unlimited.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company