Boxes, Grids, & Snap to Objects

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Wed Feb 20 14:26:01 EST 2002

At 10:47 AM -0700 2/20/02, Scott Raney wrote:
>And the very worst thing to do with any of these is "repeat until
><function>", which will condemn you to the fires of eternal damnation
>in multiuser hell ;-)

I assume the same warning applies to:

wait until (the optionKey is "down"|the mouse is "down"|etc.)

Is that correct?

Also, can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "multiuser hell?" Is there something specific about a multi-user system that contraindicates these functions and messages such as mouseWithin and idle?

Just looking to get edjumacated. I've found it to be a useful debugging tool to take an existing script and insert something like:

put somethingUsefulToExamine
wait until the optionKey is "down"

Doing so allows me to quickly check a value deep in a repeat loop, something the debugger is less suited to because of its impact on script execution speed. But I've also found circumstances where, as you described, repeated polling the optionKey seemed to cause a problem.

regards,

Geoff