Irregular Shaped Windows and Transparency

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Feb 6 13:57:00 EST 2002

On Wednesday, February 6, 2002, at 10:20  AM, Troy Rollins wrote:

>> Custom window shapes can be done in MC/REV on OS9 (Odo WDEF) and
>> Windows
>> (RunRev external collection) but apparently there is not yet any way to
>> handle this on OSX.
>
> Interesting. Do you know if this supports levels of transparency or
> just one
> bit masks?

Until OSX (and possibly XP), no system has ever supported higher than 1
bit masking, as far as I know.  Even Audion on OS9 used a hack of
clipping portions of the desktop within the player window and then
placing a shadow graphic on the clipped region to make it appear as if
the player cast dropshadows with variable translucency (8 bits).  But it
still used a one bit mask.  So the answer to your question is, one bit
masks only for pre OSX and XP systems.  We'll have to wait and see what
is possible on OSX and XP.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director, Tactile Media