Preopenstack confusion

Michael J. Lew michaell at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Feb 6 09:53:01 EST 2002

How do I set a clean-up operation to work when a stack is first
opened, but not when I change to another stack such as a substack or
even the documentation? My attempt using a preopenstack handler in
the stack that I want to clean triggers whenever I open ANY stack,
and of course fails because the false-triggering stack doesn't have
the objects referred to in the clean-up routine.

I want to (i) trigger the handler when the user first starts a
particular stack, (ii) not have it operate when that stack is
returned to from a different stack in a session, and (iii) only have
it operate on the appropriate stack. These sound easy, but I can't
see  a way to do it without conditionals testing the name of the
stack and a global holding information regarding whether the clean-up
has been run already. Surely it is easier than that!

Regards,

--
Michael J. Lew

Senior Lecturer