How to get my own IP

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Tue Dec 31 06:34:01 EST 2002

Well both http://www.grc.com and http://www.myipaddress.com/ give mme
my "true" IP. As Dar mentioned, my ADSL connection has an NAT
translation service, as there are 3 computers connected to it. But I am
actually not developing this thing for me, so i need a way to get an IP
to witch I can open a port without going to a website and under any
circumstances. To be exactly, I do need a way of getting that IP by
simply clicking a button in a RunRev app. I could probably do this:

Put URL "http://www.myipaddress.com" into myVariable

and then parse for the IP. But what if they change the layout? what if
they stop the service? It is also not very nice to constantly pester
them (I am targeting for up to 500 user!)...

There must be a simpler way to do this!
I am able of doing cgi and php on a remote server so I have maybe to do
it that way, But it seems strange that RunRev with all its network
abilities is not able to get a NAT translated IP.

was angry during writing, sorry and thanks to Kee Nethery and Dar Scott
for their help :(
Björnke von Gierke