Groups and backgrounds (and psychopathology!)

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 31 02:08:01 EST 2002

--- DVGlasgow at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 29/12/02 10:21:53 PM,
> use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com writes:
>
> << Schizophrenia is a disease, DID is not. Just
> thought
>
> I'd clear that up.
>

> Jan Schenkel.
>
>  >>

> I'm sorry to go off thread, but I wouldn't like the
> above to be assumed to be
> universally accepted.  Prof Bentall in his excellent
> book "Reconstructing
> Schizophrenia"  describes it as a disorder with no
> specific cause, no
> specific symptoms, no specific treatment, and no
> specific outcome.  If you
> stretch the concept of 'disease' to encompass
> schizophrenia, it would
> arguably contain most psychopathology, including
> DID.

Okay, you do have a point, as technically speaking
there probably is no such thing as schizophrenia, as
it's just a common name for a collection of symptoms.
Oh well, at least people here will now know that
multiple personality disorder is not the same thing as
schizophrenia.

> To camoflage the offthreadedness of the
> above......... I had a nice moment
> today when I accidently ungrouped and generally
> messed up objects I had
> carefully grouped (and put a fairly sizeable script
> in the group).  I only
> noticed far too late to undo.  I morosely selected
> them all and grouped them.
>  I noticed that the group automatically assumed the
> name of the previous
> group.  This raised a smile.  Then I found that the
> resurrected group
> contained the original script.   This caused a
> cackle of delight.
>
> How does that happen?  Does a group survive its
> objects being ungrouped if it
> is only placed on one card??

My best bet is that as the stack wasn't saved to disk
in the meantime, the 'group' object was still in
memory somewhere. You lucky dogcow ;-)

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

=====