Yet another menu question

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 30 06:56:00 EST 2002

Sorry for all these naive questions, but it says in the 1.1 docs:

"to create individual menu items that will appear in the menu, set
the button's text property to the menu's contents, one menu item per
line. You can either set this property in a handler, or fill in the
box..."

I wanted to use this feature to change the text of individual menu
items (for example to create menu item that toggles between "Show..."
and "Hide...".

Well, if I execute in the message box

   put line 1 of the text of button "Options" of card 1 of this stack

I get the result I expected (a text, say "Show the picture" - without
the quotes, of course). But if I try to execute

  set line 1 of the text of button "Options" of card 1 of this stack to "Blah"

I get an error "Object can't set this property".

What am I doing wrong?