setting pointer location

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Dec 28 12:37:01 EST 2002

>if you still need to see a "real world" implementation, contact me off-list

I have already contacted Alan; but had some additional thoughts I
hope will interest someone:

The example I described for field cursor manipulation predates Macs & X-Talk.

OenoLog takes a middle ground: while the field cursor tabs to the
open field (leaving the mouse cursor in its original location as
David noted), if the field edit type is date, time, or other numeric
value, a number key palette is also displayed for mouse-driven data
entry.  In addition, predefined alphabetic text (eg: grape variety,
wine lot, etc.) entry is also mouse-driven...though this can be
overridden to add a new entry to the list without abandoning the
current operation.

If all necessary predefined text is entered at setup, all information
needed for activity entry (except optional comments) can be entered
from the mouse; so as I test OenoLog.rev I will experiment with the
ramifications of forcing all numeric entry through the number key
palette during activity processing.  (If I do this right, the flow
should feel natural even for a touch typist, miscdas.  Once it's done
you'll be welcome to critique my interface from the typists' point of
view and let me know how well or poorly I did.)

One area where text entry via dialog might improve my design is in
adding or editing a row in a table.  In OenoLog a table is a list of
text where all lines are equal length & store information in a fixed
format.  This is displayed in a manner that appears to be columnar;
but I don't want people tabbing into the whole table, so to
accommodate adding and editing table rows there is an individual
field below each column.  If I were to use Alan's technique, I could
eliminate those individual fields and construct/deconstruct
individual rows behind the scene.

I guess this is mainly moi thinking out load; but maybe it's worth
$.02 to someone.    :{`)
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company