setting pointer location

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri Dec 27 11:03:00 EST 2002

>  At the risk of getting Rob
>Cozens on me for interface guideline tiranny ;-) --
>though setting the screenMouseLoc is possible, most
>users find it quite confusing that the cursor is
>suddenly somewhere else.

Jan, David, et al:

Oh great!  After all my ranting against HIG police, I'm now
associated with them.   :{`)

Anyway, I also have heard from day one "don't confuse the user by
moving the mouse loc when they don't move the cursor."  I have also
wondered since day one if anyone has proved this assertion has any
validity.

Prior to the advent of the mouse, many of my data entry (eg: Oakland
PD Crime & Arrest reports) screens jumped past fields or to fields in
different order depending on the nature of the information entered in
the proceeding field.  For example, the cursor would stop at or pass
over the "weapon" field depending what legal code section was
violated.  Input operators did not have to make a determination
whether or not it was necessary to enter a weapon because the
computer made it for them.  This system was used by entry-level data
entry clerks for over 15 years.

In HyperCard and Revolution, I control cursor positioning by locking
all fields initially and unlocking & tabbing to individual fields.

I personally think the HIG guideline against moving the cursor should
NOT be accepted at face value: if it makes sense to you in your
design, do it and see how it turns out.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company