setting pointer location

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 27 07:45:01 EST 2002

--- DVGlasgow at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 26/12/02 4:57:55 PM,
> use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com writes:
>
> << Hi David,
>

> I gather you're using a 'scale' control? In that
> case,
>
> the last tab in its Properties is 'Scrollbar' -- as
>
> RunRev treats scale objects as a special type of
>
> scrollbar.
>
> There you have the 'Start value, 'End value' and
>
> 'Thumb position' properties.
>

> Suppose people can rate from 1 to 5, and the default
>
> should be 3, then set these up as:
>
>   set the startValue of scrollbar 'Foo' to 1
>
>   set the endValue of scrollbar 'Foo' to 5
>
>   set the thumbPosition of scrollbar 'Foo' to 3
>

> Hope this helped,
>

> Jan Schenkel. >>
>
> Thanks Jan, but (for various reasons) I am not using
> a scale control.   I am
> using 15 buttons arranged edge to edge in a line.
> The middle button
> represents 'neutral' (scored zero), and that is
> where I want the pointer to
> appear, when the image-to-be-rated appears.   Sorry
> I wasn't clearer in the
> original post.  I wanted something like 'show
> pointer at the loc of button
> neutral'
>
> Bill Vlahos'  suggested set the screenMouseLoc to
> globalLoc(the location of
> button "one") looks the business.  The only question
> remaining is whether  I
> should have worked it out for myself.
>
> Thanks again to you both.
>

> Best wishes,
>
> David Glasgow

Hi David,

Actually when I read Bill's reply, I realised I had
misread your question. At the risk of getting Rob
Cozens on me for interface guideline tiranny ;-) --
though setting the screenMouseLoc is possible, most
users find it quite confusing that the cursor is
suddenly somewhere else.

At any rate, don't feel bad about not finding it
yourself ; when I first saw this property in the docs,
I didn't expect you could 'set' it as well.
Oh, and speaking of the docs: they state it doesn't
work on MacOS X under RunRev 1.1.1

Hope this helped nonetheless,

Jan Schenkel.

=====