specialFolderPath function (Mac OS X)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Dec 21 19:53:00 EST 2002

Dave Cragg wrote:

> get specialFolderPath("asup") returns "/Library/Application Support"
>
> After further poking around, I found these codes can be found
> (amongst other stuff) in the "folders.h" file which resides deep in
> the Library folder (try a find in the Finder to locate it).
>
> It looks like the file contains codes for both OS X and earlier OS
> versions, but I've not been able to test them on Mac OS 8/9 yet.
>
> Bear in mind that these extensions to specialFolderPath aren't
> documented, and therefore we should assume they aren't officially
> supported. (Probably with good reason as not all codes will work
> across all OS versions). But I thought it might be of use to someone.

I found the list below from the Carbon headers at
<http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Carbon/HumanInterfaceToolbox/Ico
nServUtili/Icon_Service_nd_Utilities/Enumerations/Special_Fold_on_Constants.
html>.

I've only spot checked a few, but they work on OS 9.  It seems MC passes
them off to the OS pretty much intact, so while this ability is not
documented in MC at least the constants themselvs are documented by Apple,
and will presumably remain supported:

    kAppleExtrasFolderIcon = 'aexŸ',
    kAppleMenuFolderIcon = 'amnu',
    kApplicationsFolderIcon = 'apps',
    kApplicationSupportFolderIcon = 'asup',
    kAssistantsFolderIcon = 'astŸ',
    kContextualMenuItemsFolderIcon = 'cmnu',
    kControlPanelDisabledFolderIcon = 'ctrD',
    kControlPanelFolderIcon = 'ctrl',
    kControlStripModulesFolderIcon = 'sdvŸ',
    kDocumentsFolderIcon = 'docs',
    kExtensionsDisabledFolderIcon = 'extD',
    kExtensionsFolderIcon = 'extn',
    kFavoritesFolderIcon = 'favs',
    kFontsFolderIcon = 'font',
    kHelpFolderIcon = 'Ÿhlp',
    kInternetFolderIcon = 'intŸ',
    kInternetPlugInFolderIcon = 'Ÿnet',
    kLocalesFolderIcon = 'Ÿloc',
    kMacOSReadMeFolderIcon = 'morŸ',
    kPreferencesFolderIcon = 'prfŸ',
    kPrinterDescriptionFolderIcon = 'ppdf',
    kPrinterDriverFolderIcon = 'Ÿprd',
    kPrintMonitorFolderIcon = 'prnt',
    kRecentApplicationsFolderIcon = 'rapp',
    kRecentDocumentsFolderIcon = 'rdoc',
    kRecentServersFolderIcon = 'rsrv',
    kScriptingAdditionsFolderIcon = 'Ÿscr',
    kSharedLibrariesFolderIcon = 'Ÿlib',
    kScriptsFolderIcon = 'scrŸ',
    kShutdownItemsDisabledFolderIcon = 'shdD',
    kShutdownItemsFolderIcon = 'shdf',
    kSpeakableItemsFolder = 'spki',
    kStartupItemsDisabledFolderIcon = 'strD',
    kStartupItemsFolderIcon = 'strt',
    kSystemExtensionDisabledFolderIcon = 'macD',
    kSystemFolderIcon = 'macs',
    kTextEncodingsFolderIcon = 'Ÿtex',
    kAppearanceFolderIcon = 'appr',
    kUtilitiesFolderIcon = 'utiŸ',
    kVoicesFolderIcon = 'fvoc',
    kColorSyncFolderIcon = 'prof',
    kInternetSearchSitesFolderIcon = 'issf',
    kUsersFolderIcon = 'usrŸ'

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation