Stack file organisation

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Dec 18 11:40:00 EST 2002

Ted wrote:

> Has anyone had a corrupt stack in Rev? I presume setting the
> cantModify would prevent anything like this.
> <<
>

> I've had one corrupt stack in Rev. It was in the development environment, and
> the cantModify was false.

How long ago was this?

The only corruption I've experienced with the MetaCard file format was a
control-level corruption (bad button record) back in '97.

Such thing are very rare in Rev/MC, mostly due to the RAM-based
architecture.

Note that discussions of corruption are largely limited to programs that
page large structures from disk (like cards records in HyperCard and
SuperCard or database records in FileMaker).

With everything stored in RAM, Rev has a lot less overhead managing the
swapping from disk to cache and back again.  Accordingly, cases of actual
corruption in a Rev stack are extremely rare.  I'd never even heard of one
in Rev or MC in the last four years until I read this thread.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation