Avoiding mouse polls

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Sat Dec 14 01:21:01 EST 2002

On Saturday, Dec 14, 2002, at 15:32 Australia/Sydney, Ken Norris
(dialup) wrote:
> ----------
> Sure, that's basically the idea. But unless I'm missing something, I
> don't
> see any possibility of "catching" a mouse click with out polling for
> it. I
> don't think it can be done any other way, but I'd like to know if it
> can.
> Maybe there is a special Rev thing which I haven't seen.
>
> This is for impaired users who can only use a single switch, and cannot
> operate a mouse or other motion device. Like Stephen Hawking. No choice
> about that part.

Ken

What is wrong with mouseUp and mouseRelease rather than polling for the
mouseClick? You need to catch both because you can not predict (and do
not care) where the mouse went down, but these will work, will they
not? No object is involved (except for whatever you yourself are
highlighting for them).

You can highlight objects by using a counter to iterate through the
keys of an array from which you take the object IDs. That way, you have
easy programmatic control of the object highlight sequence without
having to fiddle with the code which actually orders the highlights.

Old programming proverb: "You can always add a layer of indirection."

regards
Aavid