send to program debuging

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 11 11:26:01 EST 2002

--- Mike McManus <mcmanusm at kramergraphics.com> wrote:
> How would you debug "send to program" commands used
> to send commands to
> other stacks when you are developing? To be more
> clear. My main stack
> sends commands to other freestanding stacks, which
> will be independent
> applications when built. Buut during the development
> process I don't
> want to compile things everytime I want to test it.
> Using IAC to create
> a server application that controls other stacks.
> They will talk between
> each other.  Sending and replying after the
> complication of certain
> activities. The send command isn't exactly the
> same...and of course
> then I would have to go back and change the commands
> before I built the
> standalones.
>
> Ideas?

Well, like Rob pointed out, this will only work on a
Mac. My approach to this particular situation would be
to get hold of a second Mac, and run the 'main' and
'separate' stacks in a RunRev on each machine -- you
_do_ have two licenses, don't you? *grin*
Enter Script Debug Mode on each, and put a breakpoint
on the AppleEvent handler in the stack script so that
you can trap what message is actually sent and how it
works its way from there.
Reason: when you 'send to program', this is translated
into sending an AppleEvent of class "misc" and type
"dosc" -- unless you specify your own classID.
You will have to resort to using AppleScript in order
to get the correct name of the target program for the
'send to program' instruction, as the 'answer program'
command is not supported in RunRev.
Potentially useful link in the archives:
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2002-March/002882.html

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====