[OT] All this talk of Whisky...

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Tue Dec 10 15:34:00 EST 2002

On Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002, at 04:58 Australia/Sydney, Manuel Companys
wrote:

> Le mardi, 10 déc 2002, à 17:46 Europe/Paris, Rod McCall a écrit :
>
>> As the word "whisky" has popped up on this list a bit recently we've
>> decided to give away a bottle of single malt to one of our users.
>> Basically all you have to do is post a *relevant* message to this
>> list between now and Christmas day. We will then pick a person at
>> random and send them a bottle of single malt whisky!
>
> Gee!  Sounds wonderful!
>
> But how many plural persons are going to get that nectar?

Manuel

A peculiarity of English; Rod's use of "person" and "them" was
grammatically correct in the above sentence. It is also quite
appropriate as it is gender-free. English lacks a singular gender-free
(rather than neuter) term and uses a plural form to deal with it.
Another example is "To send the winner their whisky, we will need their
address."

Not offered as a relevant posting. I just happen to know my English
better than my Revolution.

cheers
David