why won't my videoclip play?

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 9 18:19:01 EST 2002

At 20:45 +0000 9/12/02, I wrote:
>More newbie blues -
>
>On a Mac (OS 9.2.2) I imported a video clip into a stack - it was a
>little QT movie which plays fine in the QT Player. I then tried to
>play it from the Application Overview and also via the message box.
>In both cases I got a black rectangle on the card of the top stack,
>and then some white nonsense letters flashing in the black rectangle
>for longer than the original movie duration. And no sound. What did
>I do wrong?

After a tussle with the defaultFolder property (you can't just set it
to the filepath of the folder containing this stack...) I got a
different but equally unsatisfactory phenomenon by trying to run the
original QT movie (not the clip) using the 'play' command in the
Message box. No picture, and the sound was the "holy hellish
scratching" described by Judy Perry. The sampling rate was maybe
'wrong' (it's 22.255 KHz with a depth of 8 bits), but where was the
picture?

TIA

Graham