How can I make transparency stick?

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 9 17:44:00 EST 2002

First, thanks to Klaus and Ken for the very quick replies to my
recent question about sounds. Now for another newbie query:

I have some graphics (technically, images) with white backgrounds
which I want to make transparent. As far as I understand the
documentation, this should happen if I uncheck the 'Opaque' box in
the grc's Properties palette. This doesn't seem to work - firstly the
white bits just stay (solid) white and secondly when I click on the
object again, the 'Opaque' box is checked again. I can't seem to be
able to tell the object that I want its properties permanently
changed - there is of course no 'apply' button, but I guess 'enter'
or just changing focus should do it. What now? Do I have to convert
all these types of grc to transparent GIFs - it doesn't seem to be
what the Transcript Dictionary is suggesting.

Another approach might be to set the object's Ink property, but this
doesn't seem to appear in the Properties palette at all. An attempt
to set this via the Message Box doesn't do anything either.

TIA to anyone who can unconfuse me.

Graham