inserting accented characters

Signe Marie Sanne signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Fri Dec 6 10:19:01 EST 2002

>  > A small instruction text
>>  available on demand on each screen explains how to type, and in my
>>  experience they learn it very quickly.
>
>Do you mean that the instructions are like "type 'control+c (pause) ,' "?
>I've tried with a few characters, and whilst they work in Wordpad and put
>the appropriate accents onto the letter (e.g. works with ` ^ and the cedilla).
>
>I cannot see that Rev on Win32 (natively) responds to the keyboard
>combinations
>that other apps recognize.  Maybe the situation is different on the Mac.

I have used this on Windows with MetaCard, and tried it out with
Revolution on Mac. There is no reason why it should not work in Rev
on Windows since Rev is based on MetaCard.

So: As far as accented letters go the instructions to users are (on
Windows). Note. The I-beam has to be visible in the field.

Accent aigu: (é)   	Hold down AltGr and press the accent key.
Nothing appears in the field.
		Type the letter (in this case 'e'). Both letter and
accent appear.

Accent grave (è)	Hold down Shift and press the accent key.
Nothing appears in the field.
		Type the letter (in this case 'e'). Both letter and
accent appear.

Umlaut (ä)	Press the umlaut/circonflexe-key. Nothing appears in the field.
		Type the letter (in this case 'a'). Both letter and
umlaut appear.

Circonflexe (â)	Hold down Shift and press the umlaut/circonflexe-key.
Nothing appears in the field.
		Type the letter (in this case 'a'). Both letter and
umlaut appear.

As regards 'tilde'  — or specific letters I have written particular
instructions for the students how to find them on our Norwegian
keyboard, on Mac there are combinations of control + alt, whereas on
Windows they may find them with a numeric key. In this case I would
opt for just make them available on the screen and let the user click
on it, then your scripting should put them into the field. I can send
you a list Monday, have to leave now.