inserting accented characters

Signe Marie Sanne signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Fri Dec 6 08:12:12 EST 2002

>Signe
>
>Thanks for replying.  However, I'm a bit confused by your reply. Does this
>relate to a pallete of accents that I create myself:

I'm still not sure I understand you; wasn't your aim to let users
type text included accented letters into a field? This was what I
replied to, ie. how a user type the accented letters. -I have
students in French, Italian, Spanish, German, Norwegian typing
various accented letters into a field. A small instruction text
available on demand on each screen explains how to type, and in my
experience they learn it very quickly.

Perhaps the misunderstanding relates to "accented letters" which I
have interpreted as letters with accent aigu, umlaut etc. If you were
thinking of other unusual letters such as ç (c cédille), ¦ (o+e), the
Scandinavian æ, ø, å etc. (I do not know if these letters come across
in this posting since I'm on a Mac), the situation is different. In
that case it is convenient to have the letters present on the screen,
either in a specific field or as name/label of buttons. When a letter
is chosen (clicked on), just let your scripting take care of
inserting it after the last character of the field.

If you prefer a text field you put the following script into the
field (which is locked):
on mouseUp
put the clickText after fld fieldname
end mouseUp

If you use buttons:
on mouseUp
put the short name of the target  -- or: put the label of the
target-- after fld fieldname
end mouseUp

If you want to make use of a palette, you can place the text or the
buttons on it, but there is no need for a palette. I usually have a
button on a screen labeled "How to type" or similar. When clicked, a
field appears with the appropriate help.

1. amanuensis Signe Marie Sanne      e-mail: signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Romansk Institutt                            tel:  +47 55 58 21 27
Oysteins gt. 1
5007 Bergen        	 http://www.hf.uib.no/hfolk/mlab/hjem/default.html
Norway