inserting accented characters

Bernard Devlin revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Thu Dec 5 19:34:00 EST 2002

[apologies if this appears twice on the list - I'm still a bit confused about
my membership of this list]

I would like to make it as easy for users to insert accented characters.

I know that in word-processing apps there are key combinations (e.g. "control+,
(pause) c" ) in Wordpad.  Some of my users are quite accustomed to this.
However this does not appear to work in a Rev field.

Do I need a series of handlers that will intercept these keyboard combinations
and insert the appropriate characters?  Or is there a setting in Rev that will
enable these combinations for a specific OS?

If this is feasible, I can imagine augmenting this with a scrollable palette of
buttons (the labels of which are generated from a user-modifiable list of
accented characters) that would insert the appropriate character into a field.
However, I can imagine a problem with the palette knowing which field should
receive the character - I take it if the user has clicked in a field that this
can direct the output of the palette button.

Does this seem like the right way to go?  Will the introduction of Unicode in
Rev 2.0 make all of this unnecesssary?