Broken Dist builder..beware big butts

mark mitchell cowhead at mac.com
Fri Aug 30 06:08:01 EDT 2002

Thanks to Rob and Troy for their input.  I found the problem!  It turns
out, one stack was very problematic.  It was slowing down the
development environment under OSX to a crawl.  If I attempted to build a
distribution with this stack, it would  freeze dist builder, and and
even rebooting and clean stacks did not help.

I finally took apart this bad stack to see what the problem was.  Any
guesses?.

Really Big 3D buttons!  If your button is set to 3D and standard or
shadow, under OSX anyway, if the button surpasses some threshold size,
everything goes to hell.  I think OSX can't handle drawing it anymore.
Little buttons are fine.  Changing the buttons to non-3d immediately
fixes everything, including the distribution builder.  There's not even
any need to save the stack.  You get an immediate fix.

So beware of big 3D buttons under OSX .
Thanks again,
mark mitchell
Japan