Using Revolution for server-side scripts

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Aug 25 16:38:01 EDT 2002

"Digital Studio \(Australia\) Pty Ltd" <tony.perry at numbat.com> wrote:

> Thought I'd share my experience of trying to use Revolution for server-side
> scripting.  I followed the instructions at
> http://www.runrev.com/revolution/developers/articles/tipoftheweek/6.html to
> install the Revolution engine for Linux (the OS my hosting service runs) and
> my simple Hello World script then, ran my script and got this output --
>
> revolution: error while loading shared libraries: libXext.so.6: cannot open
>
> My hosting service sent me the following when I queried this message --
>
> Your revolution binary is compiled needing XFree86 libs which are not on the
> webserver and will not be as the webservers do not run Xwindows. If you can
> compile this without needing the XFree86 libs then your revolution binary
> may work.
>
> Unless there is a version of the Revolution engine for Linux out there
> somewhere that doesn't require XFree86 libs on the host server, I suspect
> many of you will share my experience if you attempt to use Revolution for
> server-side scripting.

The same thing happened to me a while back. I was told that you don't
need the actual libraries installed because Revolution doesn't use them.
So you can put dummy 1K text files in there if you want, as long as they
have the right names. There were two libraries that were missing on my
web hosting server -- one was the same as you mention above, and the
second one I'm sorry but I can't remember. I never had a chance to see
if dummy files worked because I changed web hosting companies right
after that. But it is worth a shot.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com