Using Revolution for server-side scripts

Digital Studio (Australia) Pty Ltd tony.perry at numbat.com
Sat Aug 24 19:10:01 EDT 2002

Hi all,

Thought I'd share my experience of trying to use Revolution for server-side
scripting.  I followed the instructions at
http://www.runrev.com/revolution/developers/articles/tipoftheweek/6.html to
install the Revolution engine for Linux (the OS my hosting service runs) and
my simple Hello World script then, ran my script and got this output --

revolution: error while loading shared libraries: libXext.so.6: cannot open

My hosting service sent me the following when I queried this message --

Your revolution binary is compiled needing XFree86 libs which are not on the
webserver and will not be as the webservers do not run Xwindows. If you can
compile this without needing the XFree86 libs then your revolution binary
may work.

Unless there is a version of the Revolution engine for Linux out there
somewhere that doesn't require XFree86 libs on the host server, I suspect
many of you will share my experience if you attempt to use Revolution for
server-side scripting.

Regards,

Tony Perry