OT: Video -- digital archiving

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Aug 22 22:38:01 EDT 2002

on 08-22-2002 10:22 AM, Scott Rossi at scott at tactilemedia.com wrote:

> If you don't know what your future editing needs will be, the most flexible
> option would be to store your video uncompressed.

Thanks Scott...yes, that of course would be ideal. The challenges though are
obvious:

A) what media is used to store the uncompressed video if not tape? I have a
sinking feeling that for the quantities of data we are looking at, were one
to save 1000 hours of uncompressed video to a digital format, that removal
media of any kind is simply not there yet. I guess one has only to try a few
hours and then do the math....what do the "big boys" do?

B) how to read/view those files for cataloging... Can Quicktime "see" raw
uncompressed video? I.e. Assuming assuming  QT can read it, Rev can also and
then the issue is time to view on-line to some harddrive on a server over
the LAN...

C)  Troy mentions that DV might suffice for VHS tapes... We are quite
ignorant here. One of my young team thinks that "uncompressed video" = DV
format. But Troy says it is DV = 5 to 1.

What then is the file format for "uncompressed video" if not DV?

The goal is to avoid building an expensive environmentally controlled
cabinet for the original tapes, and download them all as compressed MPEG's
and view them in Rev. but then to go into production would require  going
back to the physical tapes...what is the industry standard these days for
saving and archiving? Physical tapes? Uncompressed Video on what media?

Hinduism Today

Sivakatirswami
Editor's Assistant/Production Manager
katir at hindu.org
www.HinduismToday.com, www.HimalayanAcademy.com,
www.Gurudeva.org, www.hindu.org

Read The Master Course Lesson of the Day at
http://www.gurudeva.org/lesson.shtml