Wired HC Article (Rod McCall)

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Sat Aug 17 20:06:01 EDT 2002

  I always was annoyed by almost every program I used. I always knew they
lacked any sense, and especially usability. Starting to use Windows made
me depressive, and every Unix application I ever saw made me sick. I
believe in usability. I still believe that computers SHOULD help people.
I know that programs can be done better.
Im a HyperCard victim.

Recently I've learned some things about shell and c++. I now know the
enemy. Its called knowledge. the usual Evil believes that, to use a
application properly, you have to KNOW how to use it, you have to know
its commands, you have to know its quirks and you have to know its
limitations.
I however believe in wisdom. An application has to have the wisdom to
lead my way to the goals I decided on, it has to be wise enough to tell
me where it falls short, and it has to get out of my way when I finally
know the commands, quirks and limitations. Programs are unfortunately
made by programmers, and they are seldom wise but most often rather
knowledgeable.

I think, as a cross platform application, RunRev has omitted from many
directions. Some are advantageous, for example its HyperCard roots.
Others are desastrous especially its way of thinking about the users as
a knower.

The most needed Features in Revolution for me would thus be:
- an useful errormessage handling/generator (would make debugger
obsolete)
- better automation of the scripter
- simpler menu generator/assistant (would decrease list traffic)
- improved UI (would increase revenue)
- General uncluttering and simplifying
- bug fixes (would decrease bad press)
- better documentation (sad fact: its one of the best, ever!)