pull-down menu not working in standalone for windows

Howard Bornstein bornstein at designeq.com
Fri Aug 16 16:14:01 EDT 2002

> A point of clarification: I'm using a popup menu such that
> when the user right-clicks in a field, the menu appears.  The
> only way I know to do this is to create a button of type
> popup that is hidden, and popup the menu in the mouseDown
> handler of the field.

Why do you have to make a hidden button and force the popup display in a
mousedown handler? A regular popup should work just fine. What problems
are you having with it?

>After further testing, it seems that I have to set the visible of the
>popup button to true in order to have a functioning popup menu in a
>standalone for Windows.  However, I don't want the user to see the button
>itself.

When I make a normal popup button, the button doesn't 'appear' as a
button (except that the name is visible by default) so I don't understand
what the user is seeing. But the things you can do to make sure a button
won't be seen (but is still "visible") are to set the following
properties:

showborder=false
threeD=false
opaque=false
showName=false
showfocusBorder=false
autohilite=false

I made a button like this under Windows (I didn't test in as a
standalone) and the popup shows up (I set menuMouseButton to 0 or 3--both
worked) without the button being "visible".

See if this helps. If I'm completely missing your point, try to provide a
little more detail as to what the problem is.

Regards,

Howard Bornstein