Wired HC Article

Heather Williams heather at runrev.com
Fri Aug 16 14:08:01 EDT 2002

> Message: 12
> Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 18:12:53 +0200
> Subject: Re:   Wired HC Article (Rod McCall)
> From: "Wolfgang M. Bereuter" <wmb at internettrainer.com>
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>

> On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 05:56 PM, Rod McCall
> <rodmc at runrev.com> wrote:
> Hi Rod
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Firstly I think its time we made some comments. Initially we
>> have had excellent feedback in relation to the usability of
>> Revolution. Indeed many reviews in websites, magazines and
>> elsewhere have commented on this subject. However if you feel
>> there are specific usability or UI issues please contact us
>> (off list) and we will see what we can do.
>>
>> The usability of Revolution is something we take very seriously
>> and do expend a large amount of resources, time and effort to
>> ensure that the user experience is of the highest possible
>> standard for as many users as possible. However different user
>> groups may have different needs and where possible we will try
>> to address these issues when they arise.
>
> So many times i have read here too: the rev team is waching this
> 2 lists all the time, and seriosly lookin for the needs of
> our....
> So i have posted to the lists so much mails to improve the UI,
> the usability, the interface design etc... But what happened - a
> lot of new scripting and programming features have been
> anounced; but for the authoring - nothing! Thats ok for a
> scripting tool....
> "The excellent feedback in relation, to the usability of rev",
> you are refering, is from the point of view of a programmer. For
> them rev may be a big improvment in UI design, but show me the
> reviews from the designer, layouter, or multimedia authos
> please... They are all mostly using iShell (Director)for
> authoring and rev for the scripting projects...
>
> Some days ago i have asked here on the list about the Profil
> Manger. A serious time eating usability problem, wich makes it
> impossible to set the font size bigger for windows without
> formating all texts by hand again. It was a reply to a tip from
> Jeanne about the PM. But I did not get any answer from her or
> from the rev team. (From the list yet) Then I forwarded this two
> days ago *offline* to her, - no answer until now.
> About a week ago I replyed to a post from Kevin to the improve
> list with a question about the ugly "textfield border color"-bug
> in OSX, no answer! During rev´s beta time I got answers from
> Kevin mostly on the same day after posting.

Can I respectfully point out, that during the beta test period we had a
limited number of testers and Kevin was working full time on the programming
aspects of Rev. Now we have a very large number of users, and Kevin has an
extremely busy schedule as Managing Director. While he makes every effort to
keep up with his mail, and does reply to it all in as short a time scale as
possible, there is only so much Kevin to go round. We have not yet managed
to write a "clone Kevin" program in Rev, though it has been discussed... You
are likely to get a faster response if you send your mail to
support at runrev.com rather than to Kevin direct.

Additionally, members of the team have been taking holidays over the last
few weeks on a rotating basis (no, we are not machines, yes, we do very
occasionally take holidays) and this has not helped response times.

That said, your mail has been or will be read and your views taken into
account. We genuinely do value them. We have a difficult juggling act to
perform in prioritizing which features/bug fixes/new directions should
happen next, with a limited amount of programmer time available. We'd love
to be able to implement all the great suggestions I've been seeing on this
list lately. We'd be ecstatic if we could eliminate every bug overnight.
It's not reality. Rev is a great tool for many purposes. A large number of
people are using it for pleasure and profit. It's not perfect, and it's not
the best fit for everything, though we'd like it to be, and we're working
towards that goal. If you feel a different tool would serve you better,
that's an assessment you have to make.

Regardless of what you decide, you should know that your input and support
over the last year and during the development period of Revolution has been
and will be valued,

Regards,

Heather

--