a complete digression from Override QUIT

David Vaughan drvaughan55 at mac.com
Thu Aug 15 03:18:00 EDT 2002

On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 05:09 , Klaus Major wrote:

> Hi Jeanne,

snip

> this is the first time that i read something that has been translated
> by "babelfish".
>
> As a native german speaker i have to say that i can't remember a more
> amusing read :-D
>
> Nevertheless it's understandable.

About a couple of years ago I was conversing with a bloke in Holland, in
English as I have zero Dutch. In the course of this he asked for help on
a couple of english expressions, so in my next e-mail I tried to do "the
right thing" by machine translating my message before sending (happily,
I also sent the english version at the same time, as otherwise he would
have had little idea what I meant). When he translated it back to me I
could understand his hilarity. We gave that one up. So, while my German
is too limited to see everything that amused Klaus, I can well imagine.
Of course, english-speakers have enough trouble with their own language.
Where I am working at the moment an e-mail came around just today,
inviting people to farewell a retiring colleague who was "...a friend
too many." :-D

cheers
David