Can I use Revolution for this?

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Sat Aug 3 15:04:02 EDT 2002

>OK, I have a question about whether or not I can use Revolution for the project that I want to do. I hope so, because I have effectively wasted a few hundred dollars in Rev licensing and documentation if not.
>
>Let me describe the project, which I mentioned here once before, and then my concerns. The project is a system to allow people to play games online. This system will support a variety of board and card games, many of which are very complex and could potentially have 1000 playing pieces, cards, boards, etc. in certain games. I want the users to be able to create their own games as the goal is to be able to adapt existing strategy games to be playable online using Revolution to create the front end.
>
>Now, my concern has to do with the standalone limitations. Is there a way that I can read data from an external file and then create all of the playing pieces and such that are needed in a particular game? Even a small game is likely to have more than 50 pieces. It seems that I'm going to bump into the limitations of the standalone environment as each of these pieces would be an object and the  user needs to be able to script them to a certain extent. Is this a real concern, or is there a simple workaround?
><snip>
>Rodney Somerstein
>rodneys at io.com

You can create as many objects as you want. For pre-existing scripts (of any length) store the objects in a stack file. That way you can simply copy them into your program, scripts and all. That isn't affected by the script limits.

What sort of scripting do you want your users to be able to do?
--

regards,

Geoff Canyon
gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com