Can I use Revolution for this?

Dan Shafer dan at danshafer.com
Fri Aug 2 22:03:01 EDT 2002

David Vaughan wrote:
>This is interesting, not only for your exploration of what the
>documentation means but how you plan to write your application. To
>save everyone else rushing to the Dictionary, this is written under
>the scriptLimits function and pertains to Rodney's questions:
>====
>Limits:
>Statements permitted when changing a script (normally 10)
>Statements permitted in a do command (normally 10)
>Stacks permitted in the stackInUse (normally 50)
>Number of objects permitted in the frontScripts and backScripts (normally 10).
>
>The first number does not limit scripts that are already written. In
>other words, a Starter Kit [standalone] user can use a stack with
>scripts of any length. however, if that stack attempts to change an
>object's script property, and the script contains more than the
>allowable number of statements, the attempt to set the script causes
>an error.
>
>The above limits apply only when you use the Starter Kit.
>(Standalone applications you create with Revolution also have these
>limitations, since standalones are freely distributable and are not
>themselves licensed.) If you are using a licensed copy of
>Revolution, these limits do not apply and the scriptLimits functions
>returns empty.

Wow. This is a bit surprising. I can see the rationale for the new
script-size limitation and I suppose the do command sort of would be
a back-door way around that limit if it weren't imposed. But it
*will* artificially (and I think unnecessarily) limit some kinds of
applications which won't be able to be built using the product. I
suppose there are justifications for this kind of thing but it always
makes me wonder about the priorities of the publishers of the
software. It too often seems -- and I'm not making this judgement
here about Revolution, so don't go jumping on me! -- that some
publishers are more worried about protecting themselves against the
extreme unlikelihood that someone would essentially use their product
to create a competitor than they are about the ultimate usability of
the tool.

--
Dan Shafer