User-Agent

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Thu Aug 1 04:03:02 EDT 2002

At 11:23 am +0300 1/8/02, sims wrote:
>  If I understand this correctly, Rev sends "Revolution" as the User-Agent
>when interacting with a web server.
>
>I have seen some shareware which enables the user to choose whatever
>User-Agent they want to send from a list of popular browsers.
>
>Is it likely that any servers refuse requests from a User-Agent that they
>have not heard from before?

Possibly. Many web servers are said to only accept connections from
IE browsers.

You can set your own User-Agent field by using the httpHeaders property.

Example from an ealier post:

put "User-Agent:  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0b2; Windows NT)"
into tAgentString
set the httpHeaders to tAgentString

But I suggest you leave things as they are, giving Revolution more
publicity in web server logs around the world. (Hmmm. I wonder how
those FBI/CIA/NSA snooping tools respond to User-Agent: Revolution.)

Cheers
Dave