use-revolution digest, Vol 1 #366 - 10 msgs

Greg Saylor gsaylor at net-virtual.com
Mon Apr 29 02:49:01 EDT 2002

Kevin,

After typing "http://www.runrev.com/revolution/engines11" into my browser
I see several engines there (thanks Kevin), but I still do not see the
OS-X engine...

Can someone please categorically answer the following questions:

Is the "OS-X" engine the "Revolution" application itself?...  Every
attempt I've made to determine this has failed.
If not, where is it?..   Every attempt I've made to locate it has failed.
If so, can I use it as a general-purpose scripting tool like I can the
"darwin" engine?.... Every attempt I've made to do so has failed.
Why isn't Darwin one of the targets when you "build" a distribution?...
Is RevDB supported under darwin, in particular the Valentina database?
When I attempt to execute the following script, it aborts with a signal
10.  Commenting out the "revDB_Connect" allows the script to execute

#!/usr/local/Revolution/components/engines/Darwin
on startup
    put "test.vdb" into theDatabase
    write theDatabase & linefeed to stdout
    put revdb_connect("Valentina","",theDatabase,,,,,"") into gConnectionID
    write gConnectionID & linefeed to stdout
end startup

Switching the first line to:

#!/usr/local/Revolution/Revolution

Just gives me a whole bunch of garbage when I try to execute it...

I did a little bit of research since someone mention CFM and Mach-O at
one point and I think I now understand that it seems like Mach-O is
"darwin related executables/libraries" and CFM is "OS-X related
executables/libraries".... However, I have seen some examples of calling
one from the other so it seems like it is possible (?) -- anbd others
where it seems like it's not possible (?)...  Is there some technical
reason why the Valentina CFM library included with Revolution could not
be used from the Revolution Darwin engine?.....

(Tuviah, I know you said you would look into a couple of those when you
got the chance, I am not trying to pressure you just clarify my questions
and point out some additional information I happened across....)...

- Greg