Open driver?

Michael J. Lew michaell at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Apr 28 20:06:01 EDT 2002

Has anyone had any success with the "open driver" command on a Mac
(OS 9.2)? I want to read data from the USB port and it certainly
looks like the open driver command is what I want. However,  what are
the drivers? Where are they? The docs make it sound like I can just
call them by name (i.e. no mucking about with paths) but none of the
files in my Extensions folder will open, even those that have
"driver" in their names. Any file I name in the open driver command
returns the "Can't open that file" message.

Specifically I would like to read data from my Griffin iMic USB
adaptor. It doesn't come with any drivers, but uses the built in
Audio Manager and the "Sound" control panel. I assume that the Audio
manager is a driver and that I should be able to read from it with
the driver commands. That doesn't seem to be the case.

I have fiddled a bit with OS X because the docs say that "On OS X and
Unix systems, you can obtain a list of available devices by reading
the file "/dev/tty"." but I can't find such a file, or even a "dev/"
directory. Any additional info would be helpful because I feel a bit
lost.

--
Michael J. Lew

Senior Lecturer