Stacks and Menus (Mac vers. Windows)

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 18 07:39:00 EDT 2002

Hi Rolf,

First of all, on the Mac, the menubar actually
swtiches when you activate a different stack ; if the
two stacks have the same menubar, you don't notice
this, but it does happen.
You can easily test this by making two stacks, each
with a different menubar, and switching between them ;
this is actually a pretty neat feature, and it reminds
me of older applications that would add a menu item
depending on what object you are currently using,
instead of having a cluttered menubar with menus that
ren't applicable to what you're dloing at that time.

Now, without having tested this method, I think that
you should be able to "clone" the menubar of another
stack : as the menubar is actually implemented as a
group of popup-menu bttons, it should be possible to
"copy" and "paste" that group from one stack to
another.
Look at the Transcript documentation for the correct
syntax of the copy, paste and clone commands.

I'd place such a procedure in the openStack of each
stack so that it copies its menubar from the correct
'template' stack.
You might have to fiddle around a bit in order to find
the custom property that defines it as a mac menubar.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish
at the same time."  (De Rochefoucald)