Is revolution right for my project?

Kevin Miller kevin at runrev.com
Mon Apr 15 16:15:01 EDT 2002

On 15/4/02 4:45 pm, Lorin Rivers <lrivers at realsoftware.com> wrote:

>> In general I like the programming environment of revolution and I definitely
>> like the fact that the application can be built for multiple platforms.  I
>> also like the fact that it can make use of regular expressions.  Which is a
>> big part of perl and I would need for many features I intend to implement...
>> Can my application be developed with runtime revolution or would I be better
>> looking at a different solution?
>
> REALbasic compiles native, double-clickable single-file executables
> for Mac, Mac OS X, and Windows. Our RegEx engine is PCRE.

Revolution complies native, double-clickable single-file executables for
Mac, Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, Linux PPC, and all popular breeds of Unix,
including Solaris, BSD and more.  It can also run facelessly on all
platforms except Mac OS 9, allowing you to do background tasks such as
server side CGI processing.  Our RegEx engine is has been integrated since
version 1.0.

>> Also is there any information on the speed in which revolution can process
>> info with regular expressions?  I guess I could write something in perl and
>> then write it in revolution and test the speeds but I was wondering if
>> anyone had already done this?  Also once an application is developed in
>> general is the compiled program faster in revolution or realbasic?  Sorry
>> for all the newbie questions....
>
> I believe that while REALbasic compiles, Runtime does not. REALbasic
> is royalty free as well.

Actually, Revolution does compile.  There are different forms of
compilation, and Revolution is technically a compiled language, not an
interpreted one.  It virtually compiles and is ready to run instantly.  Its
performance is still similar to that of REALBasic.  One or other may be
faster in certain areas, but they are in the same ballpark performance wise.

Revolution also allows editing on all supported platforms, REALBasic does
not.

Revolution is royalty free.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller <kevin at runrev.com> <http://www.runrev.com/>
Tel: +44 (0) 870 747 1165.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.