getting paid

Kee Nethery kee at kagi.com
Wed Apr 10 13:54:01 EDT 2002

>>I'm still trying to figure out how to protect my time investment.

As someone who deals with thousands of people who sell shareware,
I'll toss in my opinion.

First rule: Software authors who focus on how to prevent people from
using their software are rarely as successful as authors who focus on
how to get more people using their software.

Some of the most successful software sold at Kagi has the lamest
protection mechanisms you have ever seen. Is the software used
without being paid for, yes. Do the majority of people using it pay,
yes. Does the author make a ton of bucks, yes.

If you can afford to do it, my recommendation is to give the software
away for free with an absolute kill date a year from now. The version
you give away today, stops working 12 months from now. Build up a
following. Communicate with your users. Develop a mailing list of
everyone who uses your software and communicate with them. For each
revision, extend the kill date. Eventually, when you have a large
following and the code base is creaky, plan on building rev 2.0 and
hire someone with talent to make the user interface as professional
as possible. Then charge for the upgrade. Via your mailing list let
people know that the existing rev 1.0 versions will expire on XYZ
date and that the upgrade price is ABC and for new users the purchase
price is WXY.

Focus on getting people to use your software, not on preventing
people from using your software.

Second rule: Find as big a potential market as possible.

(I'm making up these numbers) For example, 6 billion people in the
world, 0.1% are palm users, 1% are palm developers, 1% are palm
developers using Forth programming language, your entire market is
600 palm developers who might consider an alternate palm Forth
development environment.

Compare that to:  6 billion people in the world, 0.1% are palm users,
30% are concerned with losing their palm and having someone else read
their data, a screen lock/erase palm if stolen app has a potential
market of 1.8 million.

Even if the screen lock/erase if stolen product is horrible and has a
tiny fraction of the market, they will make a ton of bucks. The Forth
development environment will have to be perfect and even if, they
will make hardly anything.

Choose an application that has as wide a target market as possible.

Kee Nethery