Custom property settings

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 01:51:01 EDT 2002

Hi Steve,

Here's how things work: the left table shows which
_set_ of custom properties is available, and the right
table shows the custom properties within the selected
set.

In order to add a new custom property to an object,
select 'customKeys' in the left table, and click the
"New..." button under the right table.
This will prompt you for the name of the new custom
property ; after that, enter the content of the new
custom property in the field below the tables.

Now that we've got that covered, let's go one step
deeper: custom property sets.

The idea of custom property _sets_ is that you can
quickly switch between whole groups of custom
properties each with their own contents even if they
have the same name as a custom property in a different
set.

A possible use is that you could have a script in a
button that works depending on the content of custom
properties.
Then, instead of having to change (and lose the
original) content of a group of custom properties, you
can just switch between two sets by issueing a

  set the customPropertySet of object to myCustomKeys

And now the button script can base itself on a
different, but consistent set of contents for custom
properties -- so no more worrying 'did I forget to
change that custom property as well?'

Hope this answered your questions,

Jan Schenkel.

"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish
at the same time."  (De Rochefoucald)

PS: might I also suggest you

  do the exampleScript of me

and not _to_ me :-)