Password-protecting a stack

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Apr 9 21:36:00 EDT 2002

"Chipp Walters" <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:

> The problem I'm having is that I can save a
> stack, set the password, but still anyone with RunRev can view the contents
> of the saved stack (and are only prompted for the password when they try to
> edit a script) -- as I'm saving the stack for ONLY the contents (as in a
> datafile) it doesn't provide me much security.

This may not be super-secure, but depending on your needs, it might
work. There is a built-in base64 encoding command. You could write a
script something like this:

on closecard
  repeat with x = 1 to the number of flds
    put base64endcode(fld x) into fld x
  end repeat
end closecard

on preopencard
  repeat with x = 1 to the number of flds
    put base64decode(fld x) into fld x
  end repeat
end preopencard

Or you could manage the encoding somewhere else (openstack? whatever.)
Require a password before decoding is enabled.

This isn't exactly foolproof, because anyone with a base64 decryptor
could un-encode it, but it would keep casual eyes from seeing what's in
the fields.

Another approach would be to store the encoded text as a custom property
of its field, and just empty the field when you don't want people to see
it. Even if they looked at the file in a text editor, the custom
properties would be encoded and therefore unreadable (at least,
unreadable without some effort.)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com