Revolution Book

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Mon Apr 8 11:32:01 EDT 2002

Interestingly enough, there was a study on this very issue that used a
Hypercard stack called HyperHolmes.  The general findings were that while
the mechanics of searching and retrieving information are faster when done
by a machine rather than by a human, humans still prefer to read books
because:

  *we read faster from printed material than online.
   --> screen refresh rates, resolution, glare, ...

  *we already know _how_ to use books.
   --> do I look for the "help" menu?  Click here?  Click there?

  *No easy conversion of user habits from books to online info:
  --> dogearing of pages, scribbling in margins, hiliting of text...

  *Convenience.
  --> can read in bed, on the bus/plane/train, ...

Regards,

Judy Perry