License issue

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Mon Apr 8 04:12:01 EDT 2002

on 5/4/02 3:49 PM, Steve Messimer at steve at messimercomputing.com wrote:

> I have reviewed the license issue and it seems fair and appropriate to me.
> It looks as if this fee is related to covering Rev support costs in large
> companies and doesn't seem to be an issue for small developers at all.
>
> Here's a relavant quote from the FAQ that relartes directly to my business:
>
> "I'm a shareware developer / consultant / retail software developer and I'm
> going to ship thousands of copies. Do I need a license?"
>
> "No."
>
> End of issue from my perspective.

I agree that there are many classes of use to which this doesn't apply.  And
if it was truly intended - and applied - only to covering Rev support costs
in large companies it may well be appropriate (thought there are other ways
to solve that particular problem).  And if that was all it was, I could also
pass it off as having no relevance to me, because I am not in that
situation.

However, in both the formulations we have seen so far it appears that the
net has been cast considerably wider, and as far as I can see in the current
writing it looks a lot like it could affect me, and in very unclear ways.
So I do rather urgently want clarification.  Kevin, please can you answer
some questions?

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866