Bad Chars in Rev Docs (was 'Re: Jeanne...revAppVersion doesn't work?')

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Sat Apr 6 14:13:01 EST 2002

on 4/6/02 10:12 AM, Ken Ray at kray at sonsothunder.com wrote:

> There's also option-= as well, which doesn't display properly. But you CAN
> display them under Windows by using the Symbol font:
>
> option-< is numToChar(163)
> option-> is numToChar(179)
> option-= is numToChar(185)
> option-L is numToChar(216)
>
> I know it's a pain to switch fonts for certain characters, but its the only
> way I can see it being done.
----------
Thanks people. I am still working (as Ihave time) on my virtual keyboard
(for the disabled). The thing will do many actions, have many adjustable
features and feedback, and be shareware.

Font manipulation, in the case of onscreen keyboards especially, is an issue
in a cross-platform situation. Although I've been told that a piece of
software should be identical in all platforms, I'm beginning to see that may
not be what I should be doing, i.e., I should take advantage of whatever
will help the user on whatever platform they use. I intend to offer
distribution on all platforms available on the same CD ROM. I don't see a
way to make them all identical in operation and still take advantage of the
uniqueness of each os.