It were reet grand in't owd days

Glasgow, David David.Glasgow at cstone-tr.nwest.nhs.uk
Fri Apr 5 08:47:01 EST 2002

	Ian Summerfield wrote
	<Someone on the list implied they were teaching programming?  When I started
	out we first started learning binary before even touching a system,  then
	base 8, 16, etc.   Then we could understand how a computer stored values,
	we also understood the precision problems with representing floating point
	numbers,  this was all done before being allowed to touch a system!   Mind
	you, maybe times have changed now seeing as there's so much more to learn.
	I started learning at age 14 on a DEC PDP 10>

Apologies in advance for a frivolous post, but  this made me smile.  It reminded me that in 1972 I took a 'computer studies' exam.  I also had to calculate in different bases, but  part of the exam was of much more ephemeral value - reading a piece of paper tape.  My bit said Marilyn Monroe (or is it Munro like the hills?).

Best wishes,

David Glasgow

Courses HTTP://www.i-Psych.co.uk